It has been brought to our attention through COvid-19 that we need to take special care washing our hands. CDC recommends washing for at least 20 seconds. Watch The Italian Grandmama demonstrate how to properly wash your hands.
When should you wash your hands? Often! Here are some of the times that you should wash your hands:
-Before and after touching food to prepare a meal
-Before eating a meal.
-After going to the bathroom.
-If you’ve sneezed or coughed into them.
-When you come into the house after being outside.
-After petting a dog or other animal.
-Wash them before going to bed.
Why is hand washing important? It washes away dirt, germs and bacteria that collects on our hands.
- Wet your hands.
- Grab some liquid soap or a soap bar; either is fine.
- Work up to a lather.
- Wash the top and bottom of your hands and in between your fingers.
- Wash up to your wrists.
- Wash under your fingernails.
- Keep washing for at least 20 seconds. Sing “Happy birthday” twice or sing the ABC song slowly. Some people like to pray while washing their hands so they say a Hail Mary and an Our Father.
- Rinse your hands under the water.
- Dry on a clean towel or paper towel.
- Remember to change your towel frequently. You may want to have a towel for each member of the family.
- If you use a paper towel, please dispose of it in the trash.
A note on hand sanitizers. Hand Sanitizers are better than nothing if soap isn’t around. They do kill some of the germs. However, they do not take care of all germs. Ideally, hands should be washed of excess dirt before using a sanitizer.
Tell us what tricks you learned about washing for 20 seconds!
Be well, be healthy, be safe!
The Italian Grandmama
Become a follower! Click the link and receive blogposts directly to your email.
Join our community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/312477319482247/