As you know I love cloth diapering my children. My son potty trained at 2.5 years-old and my daughter will be about the same age when she is potty trained. At this point we have been through a couple of vacations while fully using cloth diapers. I really thought that it was going to be difficult and way too much work, but really it wasn’t that bad.
My family takes a yearly vacation to the beach with both my side and my husband’s side of the family. Last year I used disposable diapers for the 4 day vacation with my family and noticed that my son took 3 HUGE steps back in the potty training. Before the vacation he would tell us when he went and would want to be changed immediately. He was really getting good at noticing when he went. After using disposable diapers for the duration of the vacation, he no longer mind sitting in the pee, and he wouldn’t tell us he went. It took a couple of weeks to get him back to where he was. After that I knew that the second vacation I was going to cloth diaper him and my daughter the entire time.
I knew that the week vacation we take with my husband’s family has a washer and dryer, so it was no big deal to be able to take the cloth diapers and continue using them throughout the week.
Below are tips of cloth diapering while on vacation:
- Bring twice as many as you think you might need
- Bring 2 wetbags/diaper pail liners
- Bring cloth diaper safe cream
- Bring laundry soap you use for the cloth diapers
- Bring disposable inserts or liners to cut down on the laundry
- Think about using prefolds, as they are easier to wash and dry
- When you get to your location, scope out where you are going to keep your diaper pail or wetbag
- Think about bringing a hand washing machine, if you know that their will not be a washing machine
It is something that can be done and something that people do all the time. Please comment with other tips you have for using cloth diapers while on vacation.