So we now have 1 potty trained child and 1 that is very close to starting. There are some tips that I have learned over the last year to help ease the process.
- Start early: It is okay if you didn’t, but start now. Start by putting them on child on the potty, whenever you change their diaper. Don’t force it if they don’t want to, you don’t want to have a negative affect.
- Ask often: Ask them if they have to go often. Some recommend every 15-30 minutes.
- Change them often: I know that this is a no brainer, but change their diaper after every time they have told you they have gone.
- Take them every time they ask: Every time they ask to go, take them. Encourage them, even if you know that they went 10 minutes ago. You want to encourage the “feeling” they may have until they figure out the actual feeling.
- Be patient: They are learning, they will make mistakes and will have accidents
- Wait until they are ready: If you try and push them too early, you will have more accidents and have more issues. Wait until they show signs and understanding of going on the potty.
- Once you put them in underwear do NOT go back to diapers: Some days and weeks it may seem like there are many accidents or that they don’t know that they need to go or even regress. DO NOT put them back in diapers.
There are some things that I have done that I feel have helped. We cloth diaper with an all natural insert that lets my daughter know when she has gone. She feels it and there is no pulling away that happens with disposable diapers. We take my daughter when we take my son to go potty. Every time she tells us she went pee we sit her on the potty. We also stop using diapers all together. Within a couple weeks after my son requested underwear, we took the diapers away during nap and bedtime. It was rough the first week or so, we had to change the sheets almost every night, but he now wakes up and goes. We also don’t make a big deal if he doesn’t make it to the potty. We understand that he is still learning.