At some point in every parents life we will hear “I’m bored” or ” I have nothing to do” and we immediately think “the bathroom needs to be cleaned!” Here are some creative ideas for when your children come to you saying “I have nothing to do.”
- Prepare a story hour- have the younger children pick out books for the older children to read.
- Act out your favorite story
- Host a puppet show
- Create a read along story- Record your favorite story for a read along to help a younger sibling learn how to read.
- Record your own radio station- make sure to include music and topics for conversations
- Make a newspaper- Write about family members, what the family schedule is, important topics around the house, etc.
- Get Crafty- Make a craft, make a card for a love one.
- Create a obsticle course- use jump ropes, hula hoops, swings, anything that you have around the house. Make sure to have a judge to time them and award a prize.
- Have a picnic
- Bake-there is nothing like a homemade cookie
- Go on an alphabet walk- Have them take pictures of items that start with each letter of the alphabet. When you get home you can create a photobook!
- Host a bubble gum blowing contest- See who can blow the biggest bubble.
- Go to the library
- Play School- There are tons of Free school workpages online for the children to work on.
Do you have any other ideas for the “nothing to do” syndrome? We would love to hear from you!