Feeling discouraged about your business? From what I’ve read and heard, it’s normal. Businesses go through flush times and lean times. And if you’re not where you want to be financially, there can be an added element of fear, despondency, a sense of wanting to give up.
So what do you do about feeling discouraged? Here are a few tips I’ve gleaned:
- Make a list of accomplishments since opening your business. What have you done successfully so far? Opened your shop, created some beautiful products, marketed it, did a craft fair. List them all. Feel good about this. It’s more than many people accomplish.
- Do you have tangible evidence of what you’ve been able to do, financially, with what you’ve earned so far? I’ve been able to pay my personal bills from business earnings. I’m proud of that!
- If they’ve sold once, they can sell again! Look over your sold items. Relish in them! Enjoy the feeling of having successfully sold your artistic treasures.
- Keep moving. Put one foot in front of the other. Do the next right thing. Crawl out of bed, put away the Oreos and lose yourself in your work!
- Focus on a time when you had multiple sales. Recently on vacation, I sold 5 items! If it happened once, it can happen again.
- Lots can happen in a day, overnight, in a month! Keep sight of that fact because none of us knows what’s around the corner. Tomorrow could be your best day yet!
- Review where you started and where you are. I’ve learned so much about marketing, made some wonderful contacts, made many brides happy, had my bouquets published in several magazines. Do I need to have a daily reminder of my wonderfulness? If so, I have a bigger problem than being discouraged!
- Your business is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes pacing and it is a process. You can’t get to the end without the middle! And in the middle is a lot of work.
- Turn it over–to your spiritual power, guide, angels or God. When we feel powerless, it helps to have a higher power to turn to. Let go of what we can’t control and let the universe take care of the rest.
- Believe. In yourself, in your dreams, in your potential.