When it’s time to think about finding new schools for the children. Knowing what you expect and want from a school is crucial to satisfying your children’s needs. Visit and gather information about the area schools. Remember visits should be exchange of information rather than an “interview”. The following suggestions will help with your search.
Meet the Principle
- What is his/her philosophy about education?
- What is the school’s philosophy about education?
- How did the school score in the state testing?
- what programs are there for remedial or gifted students?
- how does he/she encourage the teachers to improve their skills?
Know the Curriculum
- What will your child be learning at his/her grade level?
- Is there anything your disagree with?
- Is there anything missing that you feel is important?
Meet with the Teacher
- What is his/her teaching philosophy?
- What is his/her teaching background?
- How is the classroom structured?
- Is there cross-curricular instruction? (do they teach math in science class or english in history class? This is a well-rounded approach to educating and learning)
- Are current issues/events brought into the classroom?
- How do they deal with ethnicity? That is, do they teach about each ethnic background as it occurred in history?
Visit the classrooms
- Is the classroom stimulating, cheerful, and interesting?
- Are there decorations?
- Are books readily available?
Contributed by Albert DiCicco- Encouragement: A publication by Angela DiCicco and Gail Signor
What do you look for in a new school? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org